Would I Want My Kids To Read This? | Being Jane

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Would I Want My Kids To Read This?


**Photos of my girls have been removed to protect their digital footprint**


Everything we do on social media could be read and seen by our children.

Have you ever thought about that?

Being candid and raw in the blogging world is something we all respect and appreciate, but it can also go too far. I am all about raw honesty on my blog, but there is an extent to which I will go.

I adore my girls. We have amazing days. We have bad moments. Even on the hard days I never feel like it is so bad or difficult that the whole day has gone out the window. There is always a redeemable moment, event, or conversation.

Emma's sweet little heart keeps me going. Her amazing mind brings forth these phrases that stop my in my tracks and crack me up. Audrey's smiles and joy for each day keeps me going. That little ball of happiness just never stops.

But they are kids, too. They get fussy, cranky, grumpy, don't do what I want them to do when I want them to do it....

Something I've seen a lot of over my time in the blogging world is some very real posts, tweets, instagram photos, and the like, about how awful so-and-so's child is being and how upset the parent is about it. That is fine, It is fine to be upset, and it is fine for children to have bad moments and bad days.

Step back for a moment and think about posting in length about a child's behavior or bad day. Ten... twenty... thirty years from now, what if that child read that post or saw that photo? What if you were that child seeing a post your parent wrote about how terrible you were? What if you saw that those posts happened a lot? Would you feel embarrassed? Would you feel like your parent didn't like you that much at that age? Would it make you feel bad, seeing your parent complain about you?

Personally, I would feel awful if my girls grew up and read something that showcased all of their flaws and complained about how difficult they were. The wonderful moments so outshine the bad.

I challenge you, when you're writing about your sweet kids, to think hard and step back. Does the post reflect the best of them? Will this potentially hurt them in the future? Could the post make them wonder how much they irritated or bothered you?

Again, it is okay to be raw and open, but using discretion when talking about your children can save them a world of hurt. When Emma is fifteen I don't want her finding a post of mine that talks about how frustrated I am with her and how I wish I wasn't a mom that day (just an example, I've honestly never felt like that yet!).

Next time you post, ask yourself: "Would I want my kids to read this?"


2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! So very true! Its kind of scary to putt everything out there for the world to see because it literally means THE WORLD....friends, family, bosses, potential bosses. every single person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with this question as a fiction writer. My stories are realistic and gritty. Though I don't write directly about my life, you can trace inspiration back to many real events and people. As I publish these works, I have to ignore the apprehension that Ev might read it someday. Writing is only art when it takes risks. THAT BEING SAID--Instagram: keep it vague, protect their digital identity for their own use.

    ReplyDelete