Six Years Today | Being Jane

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Six Years Today


Six years ago today, neither of us knew our lives would change in a big way within a matter of hours.

How was I to know that by getting a quick job at a local Applebee's, I would be changing my future. 

I couldn't have known that the guy I met on my first day would be my husband. He kept the first three buttons on his black dress shirt un-done, cuffed up his sleeves to the elbows, wore leather bracelets and necklaces, and bleached his Keith Urban-esque hair.

To be honest, the minute I met him I thought he was gay. Not because of his style, but because of what words came out of his mouth the first time he saw me.

"Cute bag!"

Seriously, straight men don't call a purse a "bag", and they definitely don't call it "cute". 

Little did I know he just had great fashion sense, which, six years later I fully appreciate!

When I left the restaurant that day my sister (also a blogger), whom I lived with at the time, asked me if I had met anyone nice. I said that I had, and he was really cute, but that I was pretty sure he was gay.

Two weeks after my first day on the job, we ended up in a conversation about our upbringings, which were scarily parallel. That led him to ask me over to hang out with some friends of his, and he did not, I repeat, DID NOT, mean for it to be a date.

But it turned into one. We watched Rent and Accepted. And I moved in three days later. (More on that story here).

Needless to say, I adore the heck out of this guy. And I am so proud to say that we are as strong as ever six years later. When all the odds and doubts were against us, we prevailed.

My apologies for the horrible quality photos, but it was 2008 and the "cool phones" just weren't that cool yet! (I had a Samsung Matrix, which slid open BOTH ways. Too cool.)




2 comments:

  1. Your story is sweet. I love the person that you are and the unwavering love and loyalty to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How perfect! Congrats on 6 years :) Stop by my blog if you get the chance.. I'm doing a spring giveaway! Happy Friday!

    xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante
    www.thediaryofadebutante.com

    ReplyDelete