My Daughter Has Reflux | Being Jane

Sunday, March 2, 2014

My Daughter Has Reflux


Little miss Audrey is four months old! She is a giggler, super smiley (as you can see), and loves to play with Gerry the giraffe and her pink ball!


Shortly after Audrey was born she exhibited signs that she had food allergies very similar to the ones that Emma had as an infant. I had changed my diet to vegan-ism in August of 2012 but when I became pregnant with Audrey in February of 2013 I was nervous about my protein intake so I added cheese and some cured meats back into my diet. I took dairy, egg, and soy protein out of my diet as soon as I noticed the tummy troubles Audrey was having. Those were the allergens that bothered Emma so I was sure my adjusted diet would make everything better! 

Unfortunately that wasn't enough, so I removed gluten and corn as well. Once she hit her one-month birthday I tried putting corn back in due to the fact that I was literally eating beans and rice (among other pure foods) and having a hard time eating well-rounded meals on a busy mom schedule! Corn didn't bother her which was so exciting to see! When Audrey turned two months old I decided to experiment with gluten, and thankfully we didn't see anymore throwing up from that either! Anytime I try dairy or egg, though, it upsets her within a few hours and she gets sick multiple times until it is out of her little body.


At her two month appointment back in January, Audrey's pediatrician heard the reflux noise as she lifted her up from the exam table. Since Audrey showed no pain there wasn't anything to do besides treat her like she has reflux during our daily routine. This meant keeping her upright while nursing, which is quite the acrobatic act. Also, keeping her at an incline right after eating and while sleeping. These aspects all helped the spitting up and we finally relaxed. She is a tummy-sleeper, which is said to help relieve the reflux pain so we already were doing something in the right direction!

Over the past couple of weeks Audrey has had trouble sleeping her normal 2-3 hour nap schedule and wouldn't stay down at night for more than 30 minutes without waking up screaming. This was very scary for me, because I hadn't been eating anything that would bother her and she seemed in significant pain. Thankfully her four month appointment was coming up so I brought her in and told her doctor all about the new symptoms. These difficulties included her screaming while nursing and not being interested in eating, yet being very hungry at the same time. These are signs of reflux, but it didn't make sense to me since it hadn't been bad a couple of months earlier.

Prior to her appointment I did a little research on Dr. Sears' website and found out that GER (Gastroesophageal reflux) often peaks at four months and then levels by seven months or goes away completely. Her pediatrician said her symptoms definitely show that her reflux has turned to the painful kind and prescribed generic liquid Zantac twice a day. Let's just say Audrey is not a fan of the stuff! Even though I am usually all about delaying the introduction of foods for babies, our pediatrician also suggested starting rice cereal to help with the stomach acid. Also considering Audrey's extreme interest in grabbing our food (Already! I know!) she said it wouldn't hurt. Since she is so little I have only given her 1/2 a tablespoon so far, and she is really enjoying it. It's pretty darn cute watching her grab the spoon to shove it in her little mouth!


If you have any questions, advice, or are also experiencing the journey of reflux, please don't hesitate to leave a comment or email me! I'd love to hear from you.




4 comments:

  1. Ayla had reflux, it's no joke. I just tried eating as plain as possible so she wouldn't get it in my milk. The Zantac really helped. She was about 8 months when it finally subsided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter Aubrey had reflux and was on Zantac from 2 months to 6 months before she didn't need it anymore. Sleeping at an incline was a great move on your part and I am sure it's helping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh...my daughter Paige had reflux so bad when she was little that she would cry for HOURS! It was really stressful! It helped us to add rice cereal to her bottles to keep it down, and also keeping her upright during eating and for at least 20 minutes after. The doctors also suggested putting a blanket under one end of her mattress so it was at an incline so the stuff wouldn't come up her throat. She grew out of it after about 6 or 7 months tho!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for saying hello today:) Yes, I worked with Jason and Bobby at IC! Loved my time there:) YOur daughters are adorable:) xoxo Katie

    ReplyDelete