Let Them Play | Being Jane

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Let Them Play


I am always telling Emma she needs to pick up a mess before she makes a new one. Some days I'm lax on this but that means I let two or three messes happen before I start prompting her to pick up some of it.

Today I started getting frustrated because she was dumping bin after bin and pulling out every toy in sight. My new "mom-of-two" Type A personality started to go crazy. In an apartment laden with unpacked boxes after a move this past weekend, toy messes make it feel all the more chaotic. 


But then I stepped back and looked at it from a different perspective. 

The end of 2013 involved the birth of our second child, which ultimately laid me up and stole my energy. Emma began to have a lot more TV/iPad/iPhone than usual. This kid LOVES her learning apps and PBSkids shows. I used to have to hide our phones and the iPad so she wouldn't be reminded to ask, just in hopes that she would busy herself with actual toys.

And now I'm getting frustrated because she's playing with too many. 

See the issue here? 

Yes, I completely believe in teaching your child to clean up after themselves (a disclaimer I'm throwing in here so no one thinks I'm letting my child grow up without learning responsibility and respect for things), but in these times of technology driven success I say....

Let them play.

1 comment:

  1. I like this post.
    Quinn always thinks she needs all of her books off the shelf at once. No idea why. She's just now getting to the point where she'll pick them up without our help.

    ReplyDelete