Harvest Spice Cake + Sweet Fig Crème | Being Jane

Friday, November 22, 2013

Harvest Spice Cake + Sweet Fig Crème




Hello there!  Thank you for allowing me to share a little fall recipe with you today.  It’s a joy to support sweet Leanne as she becomes a mother of two.  We are all sending you love Leanne!

Natural+Lovely is a space full of fresh, clean and allergy-friendly recipes combined with a sprinkle of personal stories and adventures experienced along the way.  I hope you find inspiration and comfort in the seasonal treat I have to share with you today. With the onset of colder mornings and brisk evenings, it is a direct result of this lovely shift in weather we’ve been experiencing.

Recently one of these chillier days I found myself drawn to the spice cabinet with thoughts of cinnamon, clove and vanilla. These warming flavors and aromas embody the atmosphere of fall for me. Inspiration came quickly, as I peered into my various cupboards and pantry. Pulling various bits and pieces onto my counters, I soon had the makings of a spicy fall treat. I needed one more ingredient to make it unique and fresh.... a small bundle of figs caught my eye. Perfect. Soon I found myself in a warm kitchen, measuring, whisking and singing to my heart's content. 




May the result of my fall inspiration bring you much joy this week. Let's celebrate this beautiful season with a little cake, shall we?



{Harvest Spice Cake}

2 tbsp Cloves, dried + whole
1/2 cup Water, filtered

1 1/2 cup Almond Meal
1/3 cup Cocoa Powder, unsweetened
1 tbsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 cup Coconut Oil, organic,  extra virgin + cold-pressed
1/2 cup Honey, slightly warmed to a liquid, organic + raw
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
3 Eggs, organic, free-range + hormone/antibiotic-free

{Sweet Fig Crème}

6 Figs, fresh + organic
1/2 cup Palm Oil, non-hydrogenated
1/4 cup Coconut Oil, organic,  extra virgin + cold-pressed
1/4 cup Honey, slightly warmed to a liquid, organic + raw
2 tbsp Vanilla

Begin by warming up your oven.  Scoop your cloves into a pot and add the water.  Bring the water to a boil and then allow the cloves to simmer on low.  They will steep and create a lovely spicy clove tea for your batter.  In a large glass bowl combine all the dry ingredients and whisk until fine, then slowly add in the remaining ingredients.  If your coconut oil is hard from the cooler weather, scoop your 1/2 cup into a glass measuring cup, preferably with a spout, and place in the preheating oven until just barely melted, then pour into your mixing bowl. Once your tea is well steeped (it will be a rich earthy tone), add it to your batter. The clove tea water should have reduced to about 1/4 cup. Whisk until smooth.  Lightly oil two cake pans.  I use 6 inch, but if you prefer a slightly thinner cake, 8 inch will do.  Gently pour your batter into the pans and place in your oven for 25 minutes, or until cooked thoroughly.  I love checking the readiness of my cakes with the butter knife or tooth pick test. Remove the pans from your oven and allow the cakes to cool as you begin your crème.






Now gather your figs. Set one aside for decor and quarter the rest. You may prefer to remove the skins before quartering. I enjoy the texture and flavor the skin provides.  Combine your figs with the remaining ingredients in your Kitchen Aid or in a tall bowl with a motorized hand mixer. Whip until your desired consistency is reached.  I love mine smooth, sweet and creamy.  This may take up to 25 or so minutes.... hence, my appreciation for the Kitchen Aid.





Once your cakes are cool, place the first layer on your serving dish and spread the crème. Gently set your second layer on top and add your last layer of crème. Slice the extra fig or two you have and dress your cake as you wish; finish with a fancy fig flourish! Serve and thoroughly savor.

Thank you for having me sweet Leanne! May these next few weeks be full of time with your family and confirmation of God's deep love for you.  Blessings on you and your family as you grow a bit more. Happy fall, dear friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment