Striving to Impact Others, But How? | Being Jane

Friday, October 4, 2013

Striving to Impact Others, But How?


Doesn't it feel like life just continues in the same pattern every day, every week, every year?

I mean, yes, we attempt to fill this life with different things that make us feel like it is going somewhere, like we are accomplishing things, but are we impacting life in any way? 

Building a family is not included in this thought process of mine, because I think that is a beautiful thing. 

It just seems like most days you get up, eat, work, eat, go to bed, and start over the next day. Sure, you fill in those free spaces with activities you like or things on your to-do list, but do we continue to do this until we die? 

There are people that make an impact on a daily basis. I want to be one of those people. Even if I had a basic job, I would be interacting with others and hopefully impacting them with my words, outlook, or actions. 
Being a working-stay-at-home mom is a beautiful thing. I take care of children in my home while being able to be with my daughter every day. I get paid to play! 
We recently became a one-car family. I do not regret that decision, because honestly, I usually only went places with my husband's car or with him.

We recently found a home church to get ingrained in, and even though there are endless serving opportunities in the church family, I want to do something outside of that circle. I want to invest in people that are not getting positive interaction, people that might be struggling to smile that day, everyday individuals who are just living life.

I don't know how to do that as a woman who wants to be "home" with her girls. I admire my husband because he is on a career path that involves making an impact. He wants to teach college-level English (Rhetoric and Composition) to young people, not just to be a professor, but to be an individual who can mentor and invest in these adults beyond the classroom. That is his ultimate goal!

My school journey is focused on a degree in Dietetics (to become a Registered Dietitian), and I want to impact others by guiding them in a healthy lifestyle and diet. That is years away and pretty one-dimensional, considering they have to come to ME for me to help them.

I want to do something NOW. Something fun, that I enjoy, that is not a job to me, not a burden.

Daniel (husband) works at a popular health food store in the area and loves his job. Obviously every job has aspects that frustrate a person, but he LOVES interacting with his customers, talking about the "vegan" eating lifestyle, swapping parenting stories and tips, chatting about his school life and career path, meeting people who become regulars... He said he finds himself smiling without trying. That's what I want. To smile about what I am doing without trying. To show Emma and (soon) Audrey that there is more to life than the day-to-day grind. To inspire them to be involved in unconventional aspects of this life. That is what I want. Now I just have to find my niche.

Love & Joy,

Leanne

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes finding a niche is one of the most difficult things we do as humans when it comes to "finding ourselves". Just know that it will come with time and when it does, it is the best feeling in the world :)

    ReplyDelete