Letting Go of the Little Things | Being Jane

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Letting Go of the Little Things



Next week we are moving from our one bedroom apartment to a two bedroom! You have no idea how exhilarating that is. After 2.5 years in a very small space (15 months of that time shared with a little one), we are so excited to be able to spread out and see floor space! I am really looking forward to re-decorating and I have a lot of plans and projects going on.

As I pack all of our current things up in boxes I am noticing we have a lot of little things that take up unnecessary space. I really don't want clutter or stashing going on in my new, pretty abode so I have been trying to see what we can part with.

I am a pack rat. I don't like to admit that, because I don't completely fit the description, but I am in the sense that I have a very hard time getting rid of something that has a memory. I save everything. You should see the stack of papers that I WILL get into a scrapbook someday. I have saved every movie ticket from each one I have seen in the theater from the time I was 15, including the ones my husband and I have seen. I even write who I went to the movie with on the back. I have a hard time letting things like that go, because I remember every moment when I see those little trinkets again.

I found a bin of cassette tapes under our bed this week (I bet you're saying "you still have tapes?? WHAT?!"), and I was planning on taking them with me, when I realized I don't even own a cassette player. What is the point of saving these tapes when I can't even put them to use? But they hold memories, and I can't throw those away. I found my background instrumental tapes from all of my musical theater auditions as a kid, some home-made tapes of me recording radio shows, and my favorites: my dad's background instrumental tapes from years of singing at church.

Now I haven't told you the story about my father yet, but that will come later, I promise. In short, he was my best friend, and he passed away in 2003 when I was 15 years old. Saving those tapes have the same meaning as my wearing his pajama pants, or keeping his Leatherman in my purse. I wanted to keep the tapes because they had been his. But why? I don't play them. They sit in a box under the bed. And, to be honest, they aren't even my favorite ones that he sang.

So, I decided to let go. It was really difficult to make the action of putting them in the trash. I had to tell myself that throwing them out didn't mean I was cutting any ties with my memories of him or pushing him out of my mind. It was just a step I needed to take in clearing out my physical clutter. I still have the memories of him singing in church, and I can hear his voice as if it was yesterday.

As I push through this last week of packing I hope I can muster up the courage AND the strength to let more things go. I'll let you know how I do!

What do you need to let go of?

- Leanne -

6 comments:

  1. good for you....that's a hard thing to do....let go. We're moving, too, so I'm letting go of things that I just don't need anymore, nothing too sentimental, but when you have to pack all your stuff, you begin to realize how little you really need to live a full life! Moving always makes me feel selfish! Anyway...excited for you to have more space and looking forward to seeing pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to let go of caring that those are gone - they could be made into cd's or whatever...and just seeing the We Go Together tape with the colors brought back memories of it in your room.... : /

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to let go of wishing I could do more! That always needs balance in my life...and I have to let go of the hot rollers in my bathroom! I really don't think I need them any more, but boy they served me well! love you Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just moved last month, & I can most definitely say that we didn't let go of enough before the move! ;) We have boxes of stuff that didn't get opened during our pat 2 moves that made it to this new house with us. My goal is to start opening them & going through them- making a donation pile, a trash pile, & a keep pile. We did donate A LOT to Goodwill before we moved last month. You wouldn't know it, lol... but we did.

    Oh, and keep your eyes peeled next week for a post on my blog on some moving tips. ;) I have moved 3 times in the past 13 months- I thought I should share some of my "wisdom" with my readers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ongoing goal is to live more simply. That has meant letting go of a lot of things. It's hard! I think I saw my husband weep over a thrift store-bound wooden spoon once. With some things I know why I hung on to it (like your tapes). Others, well, why have they been cluttering my house for so long?! Clutter and acquiring 'things' is such a complex issue. We have thrown out/donated/sold boxes worth of stuff we never see nor use since the beginning of the year. It feels so good I'm disappointed we didn't do it years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a pack rat too... I have a hard time letting things go especially if it was a gift... because it's almost like I'm throwing away the person instead of the thing. (Which is CRAZY!) Taking pictures of the thing helps before I get rid of it, that way I can still look back on it. Plus it's easier to file away a digital memory of the object rather than finding a place to store the actual object. And no one can ever take away your memories of your father. :)

    Congrats on the apartment upgrade and good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete