He's Practically a Stranger! (and marriage link-up!) | Being Jane

Thursday, February 14, 2013

He's Practically a Stranger! (and marriage link-up!)

I am so excited to tell you the story of my husband and I. It's unique, that is for sure! I'm also linking up with "The Life of a Not So Ordinary Wife" with a "How Well Does Your Spouse Know You?". Read on for the fun to begin!


The story of how my husband and I met always has people wide-eyed with their mouth hanging open. It still tickles me to tell new friends about it because their reactions are priceless. Since you are my "new" friends, I figure you deserve to hear the story too! And since it is Valentine's Day, what a better time to tell it!

I was a new server training at Applebees when I met Daniel. He had been working there for 2 months at the time and helped train me a bit. Despite this, we had never struck up a true conversation. While standing around by the server's station one Thursday afternoon, I heard Daniel mention something about living in San Diego. Me, being from SoCal also, jumped right in and started asking questions about his upbringing. I found out we had both attended the same churches out there, both been homeschooled, and had similar friends!

Some time later while filling sugar caddies in our side-by-side sections he asked me if I wanted to come over to his apartment that night and watch a movie with his roommate and his roommate’s girlfriend. I said "Sure", as casually as possible, all while trying to figure out if he was "into me" or just being friendly.

After work I drove with him to his apartment, and the minute he opened the door I looked around, and, observing the spotless living room said, "What can I touch?” (I had been unaware of his Marine Corp background, hence the immaculate quarters). Daniel then gave me a tour and I was amazed by the number of black and white photos of old movie stars that he had. (He had the same taste as me!) I then took to perusing his massive collection of movies and saw that he owned "RENT", which I politely begged to watch because it is my favorite, and he obliged. When the "La Vie Boheme" scene came on he pulled me to my feet and started swing dancing with me in his living room. I didn't have the heart to ruin such a cute moment, but the man was distracting me from my favorite scene! Don't worry, I forgave him. Needless to say, the minute we settled down on his couch it was as if fate pushed us together. Daniel put his arm around me, and I leaned in. In Daniel's words, "It just was right."


The next day (Friday) at work I wasn't sure how serious Daniel took the fate-filled evening before. For all I knew I was just 'some girl'. So I tried to be casual during the shift, not coming across too forward or too aloof. That didn't last long and curiosity got the best of me. I approached Daniel on his way back to the kitchen and said, "So, about last night... was that just a... thing? Cause I don't want it to be a thing... I mean *insert rapid mindless jabber here*.....” Then Daniel got a stern look on his face and said "come here", leading me to the walk-in freezer in the back. And there he kissed me. I guess that was my answer!


That night I got cut from the floor early. I had been home only a few hours when I got a text from Daniel that said that his roommate had just been arrested while on-the-clock at the restaurant. Daniel was in a state of confusion and bewilderment. He had trusted him, been lied to, and left without a rent payment. For a few days I thought long and hard about what I could do for his situation. I was living on my sister's pull-out couch and that was enough to push me forward and I had just enough money in my account for the other half of Daniel's rent. On Sunday I coerced Daniel into letting me move in, you know, because he needed a paying roommate and I needed a room. And that Monday I did.


The day after I moved in, a Tuesday, we were sitting on the couch talking about dreams, futures, and goals. The conversation took a turn to where we were going in life, our relationship, and what we wanted out of it. Before I knew it 2 hours had passed and we had talked ourselves into marriage and kids. Daniel said, "Did we just get engaged?" and, in complete disbelief, I said, "I think we did!"

*****

The next week I was kept out all day long by my friend Kara. We got our nails done, went to lunch, and did some light dress shopping. Towards the end of the day I was very tired and antsy. I wanted to go home! But Kara talked me into going to dinner with some of her friends. The entire time we were there I was texting Daniel telling him how annoyed I was and how badly I wanted to come home. FINALLY, Kara said it was time to go.

When we pulled up Kara asked if she could come in and use my bathroom. We walked up and I opened the door. I didn't get much further. Daniel was on one knee in the living area with a ring-box in his hand. Friends and family were gathered around the living room, all staring at me, not making a sound. He asked me to marry him, the proper way, and of course... I said yes.


We were married six months later in San Diego at Mission Bay. We had both always wanted a beach wedding in our hometown. It was a beautiful day, and we have been happily married for five years this year.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now for our questions. We were asked to separately fill out the answers to the questions below, to see how well Daniel knows me. It was fun! Now, he's not "wrong" on any of them, but some were just difference of opinion ;)

How long have you been married?
L: 4 years, 5 months
D: 4 years, 5 months roughly

Where was your first date?
L: On his couch watching RENT
D: My apartment. Bayside Apartments in Gilbert, AZ

Where was your first kiss?
L: On his couch watching Accepted, LOL (same night)
D: Ditto previous answer

Who first said, "I love you"?
L: Technically him, but I coerced him ;)
D: Technically me, but only in response to "It's just so hard not to say it!" by a then 19-yr-old Leanne.

What were your wedding colors?
L: Turquoise and cream
D: White and turquoise. Very pretty.

What is her most commonly used phrase?
L: "I know, right?"
D: Hm.. Do "ah ah ahh" or "Emma, use your words" count? Lol. Her and I say "Miss you!" and "Love you" waaay too much. One month we texted each other over 5,000 times.

Who is her celebrity crush?
L: Darren Criss
D: I don't think blog posts are supposed to be that long.. Blaine from "Glee" is the tops right now. We both mutually crush on Ryan Reynolds and Ryan Gosling. Lol.

If she was ordering drinks for both of you what would you each get?
L: Appletini for me, strawberry daiquiri for him
D: Some version of peach tea for herself and a Dr. Pepper for me. We don't really drink that much. But she does like a sweet wine from time to time.

What is the best meal she has ever cooked you?
L: Sausage bean soup!
D: We've discovered a lot of meals in our shift to veganism. My favorite would have to be black bean manwiches on whole wheat buns. Yum!

What is the worst meal she has ever cooked you?
L: Anything the first two months
D: Haha, maybe the tacos that gave me food poisoning in Year 1, lol!

What is the most-played song on her iPod?
L: "It's Not Unusual" - Blaine from Glee
D: Hmm.. Does "anything from Glee" count? That "We Are Young" song? Something from Les Mis perhaps.

What would she say is your most annoying habit?
L: Picking at his nails while we watch TV!
D: Normal guy stuff like belching, flatulence, swearing. Stressing and worrying too much. Drinking too much Diet Dr Pepper. Being too critical of myself. One of the above.

What is the last thing she does before she goes to bed?
L: Check my Facebook!
D: Her routine on her iPhone. And we always say "I love you".

If you could throw out one item of her clothing what would it be?
L: My pajama pants from my teen years
D: I'm working on her robe. I wanna get her a new one. It's in the giveaway pile currently.

What would you say is your favorite thing about her?
L: My kind nature
D: Her unbelievably sweet and caring soul, combined with her joyful and loving spirit.

What's her go-to drink at Starbucks?
L: Raspberry mocha made with coconut milk.
D: Um. Something with vanilla and decaf coffee and coconut milk, I think.

What's her blog's name?!
L: Top This by Leanne. And don't you forget it!
D: Top This! by Leanne

That was fun!

Love & Joy, Leanne

12 comments:

  1. I can't even believe you guys have already been married for five years! It seems just like yesterday that you moved to AZ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the definition of soul mates, your story almost brought tears to my eyes! So incredibly sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a sweet proposal story! love both your answer and that you both know each other so well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cait! It still surprises us :)

      Delete
  4. I love a good love story, and yours is beautiful. :)

    The questions were a good idea! I wonder what my hubby would say... hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! You two are SUPER cute! I love love love it!

    P.S. you gave your hubs food poisoning? What was the meal?!

    I have such a hard time determining if I've cooked meats all the way, so I guess you just made me realize I am closer than I think to giving my husband food poisoning!! ahh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwwww... cute! <3
    Hey- when you know, you know!
    P & I moved into together after 2 months, got engaged a month later, and then married 4 months after that. We found out about baby girl being on her way less than 1 month after the wedding. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post makes me smile! :) I love reading these! :) I'm working on the last part of your Cara Box right now...I should be sending it on Tuesday and you should get it Wednesday, I hope :). -Lex

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was born in SD! Lovely photos. Thanks for visiting. Following back!
    Vickie

    ReplyDelete